Our History

In 1927 the Parish of St Francis Xavier’s (SFX) was established as part of the Melbourne archdiocese. Fr Norman Clack was the first Parish Priest.

In 1928 the Sisters of Our Lady of Sion opened a girls’ high school as well as an elementary Parish School. The parish school continued under their care until the early 1970’s but is now administered by Lay Staff who are appointed by our Parish Priest.

The Franciscan Friars became responsible for St Francis Xavier’s Parish in 1975. In 1999 the Friars also became pastors of St Clare’s at Box Hill North with whom St Francis Xavier’s is now a partnered parish.

The school was proclaimed on 1st March 1928 as No.1272 and commenced with 109 pupils - we now have approximately 350.

The School has been developed to its present facility in many stages:

A double storey building facing Whitehorse Rd. [1928]
Additions to school and neighbouring house purchased and since demolished - now an Adventure Playground area. [1951 - 1965]
Temporary and Portable Classrooms. [1955]
A Terrapin Building
Additions to Administration, Resource Central Area, Library and Parish Hall. [1988]
Provision of an Information Technology Centre. [1998]
An addition of a four classroom block, upgrade of grassed areas and relocation of Tennis Court. [1999]